"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top 10 Inspiring Quotes from Books

I am linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top 10 Tuesday.


Every time I read a book that I enjoy, I start a journal page of quotes I like.  Sometimes, I love the language used, sometimes the message, sometimes both.  I often post my journal pages on this blog, like here.  For this Top 10, or 9, I went back through my reading journal pages and chose my favorites.  

1.  "There was something comforting  about spending the day with women whose only magical powers were forgetting their own names."  Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Another one of those books that I did not read until after I saw the movie.  

2.  "It is only the old who can look around them and marvel, for it is we who know how alike the world really is, how all of its problems and wonders have already been recognized and recorded."  The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
Interesting book.  If you haven't read it, I recommend it, although some parts may be difficult to read.

3.  "Our brains are like giant, muscular vines, and they can wrap themselves around almost any skill we ask them to consider." The Doodle Revolution by Sunni Brown
I love thinking of my brain as a giant vine.

4.  "To repair a man's soul and deepest heart- to reverse an irreversible trade- that might be far, far more than Matty could possibly undertake."  The Messenger by Lois Lowry
Great book, a companion to The Giver.

5.  "The others have whittled an image of me with the distorting knives of rumor until I am a different piece of scrimshaw to each of them."  Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Yet another book that I did not read until after I saw the movie, and I love, love, love this quote.

6.  "A certain feeling comes from throwing your good life away, and it is one part rapture."  Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
OMG. I. Love. Barbara. Kingsolver.

7.  "Teaching is a profession of hope.  It requires, on top of everything else, a leap of faith.  A willingness to believe that something that does not currently exist might one day come to life."  Building a Better Teacher by Elizabeth Green
I don't know what to say about this one.

8.  "Promise me you won't stay here," Gillian said.  "You'll get all crumpled up like a piece of paper.  You'll ruin your life."  Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
Yes, it's another book that I did not read until after I had seen the movie.  In fact I watched the movie many times before even realizing that it started as a book :)

9.  "Life... The important parts you blocked out altogether, but the random, slanted moments haunted you, replaying over and over in your mind."  Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl 
True.  So true.

What are some books or quotes that inspire you?

No comments:

Post a Comment