"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Stuck in my Head: Music Lost (Writing 101, Day 4)

Today’s Prompt: Write about a loss: something (or someone) that was part of your life, and isn’t any more.
Today’s twist: Make today’s post the first in a three-post series.

Today I have decided to take the twist a little bit further.  Instead of making this a three-post series, I am making this a weekly serial post on my blog.  I enjoyed the Day 3 Prompt so much that I have decided to post about music on a weekly basis.  Today I am posting about music that I have lost over the years.  
"Gepetto" by Belly
I remember when my cousin gave me a dubbed copy of his Belly tape.  It was a transparent cassette with yellow stickers.  I listened to that cassette all the time.  I loved it.  I knew the words to every single song.  Belly were an instant favorite.  But somewhere along the way, I lost that cassette tape.  I haven't heard Belly in a very long time but this song brings back memories of listening to music with my cousin in his kitchen.  I remember one time he even tried to teach me how to dance to different types of music.  
"Fisherman's Blues" by The Waterboys
The last time I heard The Waterboys was at Irish Fest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I remember how surprised I was that they would be performing.  I was even more surprised when I saw how many people showed up to listen to them and when I realized how many people were familiar with their music.  I, personally, had almost forgotten about The Waterboys at that point in my life but I quickly found that all the lyrics to all the songs were still floating around in my brain.  This song was always one of my favorites.
"Happy Hour"  by The Housemartins
Another lost cassette tape.  I have moved around a lot and my huge collection of tapes got smaller and smaller with each big move.  This song was on a double cassette from the Now That's What I Call Music series from the 80s.  I had never been a big fan of The Housemartins but I always liked how upbeat this song is.  It's also a good reminder to stay away from drinks with the boss or, oftentimes, coworkers.  And how adorably dorky are these guys??

Do you have songs that you loved but that you never hear anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment