"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Character Study: Writing 101, Day 6

Today’s Prompt: Who’s the most interesting person (or people) you’ve met this year?
Today’s twist: Turn your post into a character study.

As I sit here writing, I can hear a loud truck engine idling across the street.  I do not need to look out my window to see what is going on.  I know who is responsible for disturbing the peace.  Bigalow.

The first time I saw Bigalow, he was outside his apartment with his two unleashed dogs.  The first dog was a Golden Retriever, friendly and carefree; the second was a velvet grey Pitbull.  a young couple came walking down the street, and Bigalow immediately rushed to grab the Pitbull's collar.  He looked up, his forehead creased in worry, and watched the couple walk past before allowing the dog to roam free again.  He stayed alert and close to his dog from then on.  After the dogs had finished outside, he brought them back to the apartment.  He never removed his dogs' waste.

Bigalow walked back and forth between the apartment and his vehicle, ignoring the piles of dog poop that littered the surrounding grass.  His pompous swagger and puffed-up chest attempted to hide his short stature.  He climbed up into his old, white Jeep, started up the engine and drove away.  Two minutes later, he drove back onto our street.

He pulled up to the curb, revved his engine for a while, then reversed, stopped, and revved the engine again.  This process was repeated for over twenty minutes until I wasn't sure if he was looking for attention or he just couldn't handle parallel parking.  Based on how his friends park, I am guessing the latter.  

Today, I saw Bigalow packing a trailer.  I think he is moving out and I hope that loud truck outside is getting ready to drive him away into the sunset.

Reflection on Day 6:  This prompt had me stumped, and I avoided it for a long time.  Now that I have written, I still feel stumped by this prompt and I don't think that I did it justice.  Maybe I will try again another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment