"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Y is for Youth

Youth. What defines youth?

Obviously, youth is the time of our lives when we are considered to be young.

But how do we define youth on a personal level? Does our schooling define our youth? Shared experiences? The games we played? Our individual experiences?

I often wonder how much of my youth I missed due to my medical problems. I was not allowed to participate in PE classes from 5th grade on. I never participated in an organized sport. By the time I got to college, my doctor didn't even want me climbing stairs.

Of course I didn't always listen to my doctor because stairs are often more convenient than elevators :)

My youth was punctuated by pain.

I tried to not let it hold me back, but sometimes it did. Instead of sports, I participated in drama. My physical problems still limited me, but not too much. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

I guess everyone's youth had its ups and downs. I try not to live my life with regrets. I am happy with my life right now and hopeful for the future. I have dreams that may still come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment