"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

WOTW: Startitis

Startitis:  a condition where a person feels the need to start many different projects without finishing current projects.

I first read about this condition on this wonderful knitting blog.  I have a very serious case of startitis.    I love to start projects, but hate to finish them.  Usually this strikes my crafting life.  I knit or crochet something but when it comes time to put on the finishing touches, like a button or a strap, I freeze.  I put the project aside and start something new.

For the last few years, since I started NaNoWriMo, startitis has suddenly struck my writing life.  I finally have some real writing projects, and none of them are complete.  The first novel I started writing is almost finished, but I froze and put it aside to start something new.  I wrote it during the month of November.  For many months after NaNo, I continued working on the story.  Then I got close to the end and realized I needed to add another character in order for the protagonist to get the information that she needed to succeed.  I immediately put the novel aside and started thinking about what I would write for next NaNo.  Now I have 4 books in progress.

I am beginning to wonder if I have a fear of finishing projects.  A completed project is a big responsibility.  Once you finish a knitted purse or a novel, you have to take the next step and figure out what to do with it.  What if I am so terrified of the next step, of doing something with my writing, that I never finish a project?

I have decided that this NaNo is the one that will change everything.  Since I am collaborating on my novel, there is a higher expectation of completing the work.  For the first time, I have someone who is really excited to read what I am writing and to help me edit and revise.  I am hoping that this motivational push will help me finally reach a writing finish line.

Have you ever suffered from startitis?  What helps you to stay the course and complete your projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment