"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Thursday, December 22, 2016

November Book Reviews

This November, I read.... wait for it.... a whole book.  That's right, I read one book in the whole month of November.  I know it's pretty amazing!  Here is my review.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

What's it about:  
"Lockwood, the new tenant of Thrushcross Grange, situated on the bleak Yorkshire moors, is forced to seek shelter one night at Wuthering Heights, the home of his landlord. There he discovers the history of the tempestuous events that took place years before; of the intense relationship between the gypsy foundling Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw; and how Catherine, forced to choose between passionate, tortured Heathcliff and gentle, well-bred Edgar Linton, surrendered to the expectations of her class. As Heathcliff's bitterness and vengeance at his betrayal is visited upon the next generation, their innocent heirs must struggle to escape the legacy of the past."  Amazon


My Thoughts:
First let's talk about the infuriating relationships.  There was not one relationship in theis book that I would support.  Some began out of spite, others were loveless, violent, or obsessive.  Not a healthy relationship in sight (until the very end, maybe).

Then, there's the nosy neighbor.  Most of the book is a housekeeper gossiping about the neighbors and former tenants of the house.  Why does the current tenant even care?  Doesn't the housekeeper think it's weird?  And how does she remember everything in such detail?

I was not really surprised by the unhealthy relationships in this book because of the setting.  The characters are so isolated; they had no choice but to get involved with each other in complicated relationships.

Definitely not the romantic story I was expecting.  I give the book 2 out of 5 stars.  I finished it and enjoyed it overall, but I will never try to read it again and have no desire to see a movie version, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment