"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Sunday, May 27, 2018

I am an Obliger

Yes, I know this post is late.  Memorial Day threw me off.

Hello, my name is Lisa, and I am an Obliger

"An Obliger?" you might ask.  "What is that?"

According to Gretchen Rubin in Better Than Before, "Obligers meet outer expectations but struggle to meet inner expectations.... Because Obligers resist inner expectations, it's difficult for them to self-motivate--to work on a PhD thesis, to attend networking events, to get their car serviced.  Obligers depend on external accountability, with consequences such as deadlines, late fees, or the fear of letting other people down."
Rubin also identifies three other tendencies: the Upholder, the Questioner, and the Rebel; but as I read this part of the book, I was in shock.  "That's me!," I thought.  "OMG!  That is so me!"  I still can't believe that someone pegged me so perfectly.

So, what does this mean?  How does this affect my life?

Well, it means that I have  a difficult time meeting all the goals I set for myself.  I need accountability.  I am trying some different methods of holding myself accountable.  I am using trackers and offering myself rewards if I continuously meet my goals.  I am very purposefully setting aside time for each activity in my day.

If I continue with this long enough, this could become a habit, and I will no longer have to think about it.

But maybe that is wishful thinking.
After all, I am an Obliger.

No comments:

Post a Comment