"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Why am I Struggling with this Book?

I started reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón in the second half of August and I am still not even halfway through.  Why am I struggling with this book?

It's not the storyline.  I am really enjoying the story.  I love the mystery.  I want to know who Julian Carax was and why someone is burning his books.  And what about the crazy police detective?  What is his goal and how does he connect to the overall storyline?  I want to know!

It's not the characters.  I appreciate the main character's innocence.  I puzzle over the more mysterious characters.  I feel for the more flamboyant characters who suffer under Franco's rule.

It's not the words.  Zafón has a way with words.  His descriptions can be so beautiful.  The language is complex, yet flows.

So, why am I struggling with this book?  Why is it taking me so long to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment