"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

image source:  amazon.com

What it's about:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des R√™ves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.  -Amazon.com

What I thought:
This book pulled me in immediately and did not let go.  I love books where magic and real life are interwoven.  Some characters don't notice the magic happening around them, others notice but expect a logical, technological explanation.  A select few know that something magic is afoot but cannot explain or control it.  The Night Circus is definitely a magical book.

One thing that I think is successful in this novel are the chapters written in second-person point-of-view.  In these chapters, the author describes the circus from the point-of-view of a customer.  She moves the reader through this new world and makes it more tangible.  Second person is a rare POV to see in a book but it really made me feel like I was part of the circus.

Some of the tents in the circus are difficult to imagine, so I must applaud Morgenstern's clear use of description, which allowed me to experience all the impossible feats.  The world she created was complex and fantastic.  I spent most of the book wishing it was not a fictitious world.  I desperately want to visit the Cirque de Reves dressed all in black with a bright red scarf.

I also loved the characters in this book.  Many of them were mysterious but as I learned their stories, I felt for each one of them.  The love story in the book was a little expected, yet somehow Morgenstern managed to add new layers of magic and mystery, keeping it interesting.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book.  I would read it again in an instant!  Have you ever read The Night Circus?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment