"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

image source:  amazon.com

What it's about:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.  -Amazon.com

What I thought:
This book pulled me in immediately and did not let go.  I love books where magic and real life are interwoven.  Some characters don't notice the magic happening around them, others notice but expect a logical, technological explanation.  A select few know that something magic is afoot but cannot explain or control it.  The Night Circus is definitely a magical book.

One thing that I think is successful in this novel are the chapters written in second-person point-of-view.  In these chapters, the author describes the circus from the point-of-view of a customer.  She moves the reader through this new world and makes it more tangible.  Second person is a rare POV to see in a book but it really made me feel like I was part of the circus.

Some of the tents in the circus are difficult to imagine, so I must applaud Morgenstern's clear use of description, which allowed me to experience all the impossible feats.  The world she created was complex and fantastic.  I spent most of the book wishing it was not a fictitious world.  I desperately want to visit the Cirque de Reves dressed all in black with a bright red scarf.

I also loved the characters in this book.  Many of them were mysterious but as I learned their stories, I felt for each one of them.  The love story in the book was a little expected, yet somehow Morgenstern managed to add new layers of magic and mystery, keeping it interesting.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book.  I would read it again in an instant!  Have you ever read The Night Circus?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment