"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

WOTW: Degustationary

Degustation:  the act of tasting something carefully, sometimes in small portions.

I found the word degustationary in The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  It is used to describe compliments given over a meal.  When I first read the word, I thought it meant compliments about the food, but I cannot find the exact definition of the word anywhere.  After searching on the web, I've noticed that others are defining the word differently.  One forum suggested that it means a series of small compliments.  A blogger suggested that it means carefully worded compliments.  Personally I find it interesting that so many people are struck by the word and are searching for a definition.  I guess it takes a little interpretation sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment