"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

NaNoWriMo 2017


NaNoWriMo and I have some history.  I first discovered the challenge in 2009.  I had been laid off from my job and I was excited to find something to occupy my time.

It.  Was.  A.  Disaster.

First I lost my planning notebook while subbing.  Then I got my job back (which was a good thing) and, all of a sudden, I had no time to write (which was a bad thing).  Needless to say I lost NaNo that year, but that did not stop me.  I have a lot of ideas and I keep coming back to NaNo to explore them, either as a traditional participant or as a rebel.

Last year I took a break from NaNoWriMo and this year I am back!

NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, occurs every November when large numbers of people attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days.  Many of those people are successful; many even write more than the required 50,000.  I, however, have never won NaNoWriMo.

But this year, I am confident!  
  • I had surgery in early October and I will be at home recovering for the whole month of November, which means I have all the time I need.  
  • I have an interesting concept stolen from a nightmare that a friend had.  It involves flying tarantulas.  Yes, you read that correctly... Flying.  Tarantulas.
  • I even have one full week of planning time before November begins.

I am pumped!  Wish me luck.

By the way, if you are interested in following my progress, stop back by this blog for updates, visit my NaNo author page, or follow me on Twitter.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo this year?  
Tell me about your novel and add me as a writing buddy!



The image "Tarantula Arachnid Nature Wildlife Hairy Spider" by Max Pixel and "Wicca" symbol are both licensed under Creative Commons Zero - CC0.

No comments:

Post a Comment