"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

IWSG: NaNoWriMo

Visit other writers participating in IWSG at Alex Cavanaugh's blog.

NaNoWriMo.  This will be my fifth year participating, and I have yet to write 50,000 words in one month.  This year, I debated whether I actually wanted to try again for months.  Why bother trying to spew out all those words when they probably won't be any good and I most likely won't make my goal anyway?

But when November 1st arrived, there was no question in my mind.  I changed my Facebook cover photo to a NaNo participant graphic and instantly started planning what I would write this year.

I have realized that it doesn't really matter if I achieve the goal of 50,000 words in 30 days.  It doesn't matter if I complete a manuscript or not.  It doesn't really even matter if what I write is good or bad.  That's not the value of NaNo for me.

For me, NaNoWriMo is all about getting into the habit of writing daily.  Every November I begin a practice of writing every day.  Somewhere around summer break, I lose the habit and I have a really hard time getting back into my groove.  Then November rolls around, I join NaNo, and all of a sudden I am writing again.  That is why I love NaNoWriMo.

Are you participating in NaNo this year?  What do you love or hate about the project?

No comments:

Post a Comment