"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

Thursday, May 23, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday (a Day Late)

I have been having a very hard time getting back to my regular posting since the end of the A to Z Challenge, but I think I have worked up a writing schedule that I can work with.

Currently I am reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
Image Source:  readinginthegarden.blogspot.com
This book comes highly recommended by two separate people: my sister and one of my best friends.  I couldn't resist.  I've just started, so I can't really say how I feel about the book yet, but I do love the language.

Before that, I read A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin
Image Source:  oregonlive.com
This book is book number five in the Song of Fire and Ice Series, and I am still hooked.

In this book readers get to reconnect with Tyrion Lannister, quite possibly my favorite character.  I have enjoyed his antics since the very beginning of this series.  He's a smart-ass and he always manages to get out of every scrape and difficult situation somehow.  It was good to read about his adventures again.

Daenerys is also a big part of this book.  Her story has always interested me too.  However, in this book, her story was less fascinating, in my opinion.  I got tired of her life in Meereen and the whole slavery problem.  I almost wished the author had just skipped the whole thing.  I am glad that she finally got to ride a dragon, although I still can't decide if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

There were some very surprising deaths at the end of the book.  At one point I almost cried.  I was reading on a break at work, so I managed to hold back my tears :)  It's difficult to imagine the series without this character, but that seems to be a theme since book number one when Ned Stark was killed.

I already cannot wait for the next installment!

What are you reading right now?  Have you read either of these books?  
What did you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment